This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ScotchBriteSponges #CollectiveBias
Anyone else ever feel like their kitchen is just getting out of control?! I know I’m not the only one out there. Every time I looked at my kitchen I would feel completely defeated and overwhelmed. I knew something had to change. When I took a step back, I realized that keeping my kitchen clean didn’t have to be such a daunting task. After gathering up a few necessary supplies and making my own all-purpose cleaner (more on that later), I was able to come up with 5 easy tasks for a cleaner and healthier kitchen that took me almost no time at all. And before I knew it, I had this whole clean kitchen thing down to a science.
Now before you get started with your kitchen overhaul, you’re going to need a few basic supplies. We picked up what we needed at our local Target. I knew we needed sponges, spray bottles, and other basic home cleaning supplies. I knew I was in the right place when I made my way to the Home Improvement section and found an entire aisle dedicated to Scotch-Brite™ Brand sponges.
Because we have different surfaces in our kitchen I decided the best way to go was to pick up both the blue Scotch-Brite® Non-Scratch Scrub Sponge and the green Scotch-Brite® Heavy Duty Scrub Sponge. Who knew different colored sponges had different purposes? Not this mama. But the rule of thumb is: green for heavy duty and blue for non-scratch. Easy enough, right? You want to keep this in mind because you want to use the right sponges for the job you’re doing.
So why did I pick Scotch-Brite versus other sponges?
Scotch-Brite claims to be 50% faster on messes, and in my experience, that claim holds up. So I’d rather buy the name brand sponge that has great quality behind it than put money into a brand I’m not familiar with that doesn’t hold up. I also picked up a spray bottle and a Scotch-Brite® Heavy Duty Soap Dispensing Dishwand to make sure I had everything I needed. And once I got home, it was time to start cleaning!
5 easy tasks for a cleaner and healthier kitchen
- Cleaning off your counters: if your home is anything like mine, your kitchen counters are the catch all of your home. It’s a magnet for all things paper and junk. So one of the easiest things you can do for your kitchen is clear it all off. And if you keep up with this task regularly you will find that the junk never has a chance to really pile up anymore and overwhelm you.
- Wiping down your counters and stove top: this is where the different sponges come into play. As a reformed paper towel waster, I love using sponges to wipe down my counters and stovetops. But I make sure to use my blue non-scratch Scotch-Brite sponge to ensure I don’t accidentally scratch up my counters or my glass stove top. The non-scratch sponges do just as good of a job cleaning but I don’t have to worry about them tearing up my surfaces. I can either spray with my all-purpose spray or just wet with water, wipe and my surfaces are good to go! The non-scratch sponge is also good for using on non-stick cookware, tubs, windows and any other surface you may be concerned with preventing scratching.
- Wipe down your refrigerator: while this task may sound really overwhelming, it is a perfect example of if you do it regularly (not every day, don’t freak out on me) it will take you no time at all. I prefer to use my green heavy duty Scotch-Brite sponge for this job because I want to make sure I get every caked on stubborn mess that might be living in my refrigerator. And since I know my heavy duty sponges are designed for cleaning tough messes on things such as oven racks and sinks, I know it’s exactly what I need for my refrigerator. Because the refrigerator is where our food lives I’m not crazy about spraying it down with a bunch of harmful chemicals. So I like to use my DIY all-purpose cleaner (see below) to make sure I am doing my best to keep my family healthy and safe. But all I have to do is spray, wipe and go. The sponge does most of the work so it takes almost no effort at all.
- Staying on top of the dishes: this may seem like a no-brainer, but just like making your bed has the biggest impact on your bedroom, keeping up with your dishes has the biggest impact on your kitchen. I love to use my heavy duty dishwand to help with this task. I just fill the dishwand up with dish detergent and I’m good to do. And it has a pump feature that allows me to control how much soap I use, which helps me save on dish detergent! Because it has a heavy duty sponge on it I have to be mindful not to use it on any non-stick pots or pans just so I don’t accidentally scratch anything. But overall it makes dishwashing a breeze. And the easier it is to stay on top of the dishes the more likely I am to keep up with them.
- Quickly sweeping up the floors: now that I have a toddler running around, I am so much more aware of the state of my floors. I used to never worry about them, but then when my daughter started crawling around and I got down on her level, I was completely grossed out by the state they were in. So I started doing a quick sweep around the kitchen each night to help cut down on the ick factor, and it has made such a difference. And like everything else, now that I do it on the regular, it takes almost no time at all!
While these tasks may seem basic to a rockstar domestic goddess, my goddess status is still in training and I’m still figuring out the ropes. And I’m going out on a limb to say I’m not the only one. So to my fellow trainees, getting your kitchen under control doesn’t have to be a crazy daunting task. All it takes is making sure you have the tools that you need to keep your home clean and then getting into the habit of doing a few little things regularly and before you know it you’re kitchen will be cleaner and healthier too.
So you wanted to know about that DIY all-purpose cleaner?!
DIY All-Purpose Cleaner:
What you’ll need:
- Empty spray bottle
- White vinegar
- Scented oil (optional)
Fill spray bottle halfway with white distilled vinegar. Fill the rest of the way with water. Add a few drops of your favorite scented oil. Shake and go!
Chemical free and dirt cheap to make! That’s my kind of cleaner.
Want to know where you get the best deal on those Scotch-Brite sponges and dishwand I am loving? Check it out here! Also, save now on Scotch-Brite® Scrub Sponges at Target with this Cartwheel offer.