In case you missed it, last week I came to you guys last week begging for help on choosing an outdoor patio rug. And you guys definitely delivered! Thank you so much helping us! You guys rock! After much deliberation, we finally had a winner! If you’re enjoying your summer outdoors and are thinking an outdoor rug is exactly what your patio needs, make sure to remember these 5 questions to ask before buying an outdoor rug. In the end for our patio, Ikea won out. And I’m not going to lie, it looks like it was completely meant to be.
- Does it fit my lifestyle? Make sure the rug you are considering compliments the lifestyle that you lead. If you fall in love with a high maintenance rug but aren’t able to keep up with cleaning it and maintaining it, then maybe it isn’t the right fit for your needs.
- Will it be a nightmare to clean? Take a look at how to care for your rug. I knew with our lifestyle I needed something that was as low maintenance as I could find. So anything that couldn’t be washed off with my water hose was instantly kicked off the list.
- Can it hold up against children and/or pets? They’re as messy as the come, and it’s only worse when they’re outside. So if one of both of these are in your life you want to make sure the rug you’re considering can withstand them. We are the proud parents of our beautiful daughter and two shiba inus (a WHAT?! Japanese dog breed that sheds…ALOT), so because of this even though my eyes loved all of the pretty lighter tone rugs, my brain knew they would only look that pretty for all of about 5 seconds. A better fit for our family was looking for something that could withstand the craziness of our babies.
- How is it’s durability? Whether you have children running around, pets or just a lot of foot traffic, you want to make sure the rug you’re buying will last. No point in putting your hard earned money into something that will only make it through one summer. Checking the rugs material to make sure it can handle sun exposure and various weather conditions is also important.
- Does it fit your budget? Outdoor rugs aren’t cheap, so you have to keep a careful eye or you’ll wind up falling in love with the rug that could cost you this month’s mortgage. Figure out what price point you’re comfortable with and stick to it. If you’re like me and working with a tighter budget keep your eyes open for “end of season” sales. That was part of why we waited till we were finishing our patio makeover. I knew if I could hold out till after the 4th of July I’d start seeing “end of season” sales on outdoor furniture and decor. And while Ikea already has pretty affordable prices, I would ecstatic when I found my rug was also on clearance!
In the end, our total cost was $28 for our rug, coming in well under budget. I felt like such a winner walking out of that store! The material was a little different than what I had in my head (I wasn’t anticipating a rubber texture), but ultimately I think that will work even better for our family. Less fight with cleaning off dog hair…hallelujah!
Now I look out onto our patio and I can see it all coming together. We’re just putting finishing touches everywhere. Can’t wait to share with you guys how it all turns out!
Thanks again for helping us make our decision! I couldn’t be happier with our new rug!