We’re about a week away from moving day, and I have, to be honest, I am so ready to be on the other side. I feel like I’m just swimming in a sea of cardboard boxes with no end in sight! The thing is when you’re in the middle of a big move things can get a little chaotic. And after moving 8 times in my 7-year marriage, I can honestly tell you the best strategy I have for staying sane during a move is by staying organized. That’s how I came up with must have moving checklist!
Because no matter how many times we’ve done this, whether it’s from an apartment or a house, there are always steps that I forget until the last minute or don’t remember until it’s too late. But with my handy dandy checklist (spoiler alert: it’s at the bottom), I’m able to keep things straight and make sure I make it out on the other side of the big move with my sanity still intact. Well…mostly intact… 😉
Make sure to grab your FREE Must Have Moving Checklist below!!
- Decide on help with the move: do you want to hire renters? Do you need to recruit some friends? Bottom line: you will need help and now is the time to figure out where that help is coming from.
- Schedule movers or reserve rental truck: whichever route you decide to make sure they have your dates available and lock them in. Also, if you’re flexible on your day of the week, ask to see if they give discounts for moving on weekdays. Some companies offer discounts for moving during the week compared to the weekend due to demand.
- Sell, donate, or pitch: the less you keep the less you have to move. Now is the time to try selling what you can, donate what you can’t, and get rid of anything that’s left over.
- Create a moving inventory: this will absolutely save your life when it comes to keeping track of your stuff in a sea of boxes!
- Decide on your must have items: while most of your stuff will be in boxes, you still need to have a few must-have items easily accessible to you during your big move. Think a set of towels, a cooking pan, air mattress, or enough clothes to get you buy till you get your stuff unpacked. Don’t forget to keep your little ones and pets in mind when making this list. They will need a few things too!
- Slow down on grocery shopping: as you get closer to your big move you will also want to wind down on how much food you have in your house. By minimizing your grocery shopping prior to your food you have less of a chance stuff going to waste. Do a little meal planning to figure out what exactly you need to get by food wise and do the extensive grocery shopping once you’re in your new place.
- Don’t forget to clue in your utilities: make sure to let your utilities in on your move. You’ll want to make sure they turn off your utilities when you move so as to avoid additional fees.
- Change of address: don’t forget to let the post office know you’re moving too! Along with banks, insurances, and subscriptions.
- Confirm moving details: make sure to reconfirm any trunk rentals, professional movers or any other arrangements made for your move. Also, if you made any travel arrangements like hotel reservations or flights, make sure to confirm those as well.
- Do a final walk through: do you need to do a quick wipe down, are you leaving anything behind? These are the questions you ask while doing a final walk through prior to leaving your house. Making sure everything is ready for the new owners.
I will be so happy when we’re on the other side of this move. The upside to being swamped in the chaos of the move is it distracts me from focusing too much on the fact that we’re actually moving. Silver lining anyone? And while there isn’t much that can be done about the craziness and stress of moving, a good old fashion checklist can definitely go a long way.
So for anyone like me, who needs a little organization to survive a big move, make sure to grab your FREE Must Have Moving Checklist HERE!!
What’s on your must-have moving checklist? Did I miss anything? Let me know in the comments below!